You can achieve a level of custom reporting with Toast using our Accounting Report, which allows you to create GL Codes and then map them to various Sales Data Points within Toast to create a single report with your selections.
This can also be used to generate a report that contains information that you might otherwise have to get from multiple separate reports in Toast. For instance, if you wanted a single report that showed you both your Cash Deposit and your Credit Card Deposit in one place, the Accounting Report could be setup to accomplish that.
This report is typically used by accountants and bookkeepers to track daily journal entries and have them in one place. This becomes helpful when making entries into External Accounting Software, like Quickbooks.
Setting up GL Codes
1. Navigate to the Reports page of Toast and click Accounting
2. Select Map GL Codes in the bottom right corner of the screen.
On the next page, select to Add GL Account and fill the GL CODE and Description fields out. The codes will be unique to your system, below are simply examples.
Continue to Add GL Account as many times as needed.
- GL Code - General Ledger Code
- Description - A name/title for the code to help easily identify the code
- Mapped - Yes/No indicator showing if the code is currently mapped/in-use
- Trashcan - Delete Code (code cannot be deleted while actively mapped)
3. Once the codes are input, use the Save button to save your changes before you begin mapping.
Mapping GL Codes
1. With codes created, the ability to map them populates below the code list on the same page. The mapping process is divided into 4 sections:
- Entity - These are preset by Toast for all customers.
- Other Payment Types - This list is populated by any existing Other Payment Types configured on the user's Payment Options page.
- Discounts - This list is populated by the existing discounts configured on the user's Discount setup page
- Service Charges - This list is populated by the existing Non-Gratuity Services Charges configured on the user's Service Charges setup page.
2. Use the drop-down many to the right of each Entity to map its corresponding code.
3. Each entity is pre-programmed by Toast to either be a Credit (+) or a Debit (-) when the report is calculated.
4. This mapping process allows the user to choose what data from Toast is populated on this report and if it reports separately or combined with another piece of data from elsewhere in Toast.
5.This mapping process will allow the user to select one of three breakdown options:
- Sales Categories - Breaks report down by existing Sales Category
- Dining Options - Breaks down report by existing Dining Option
- Revenue Center - Breaks down report by existing Revenue Centers
Similar to the other mapping process, the user can map a GL Code to each of the field. Any unmapped field will be rolled into the Over/Short of the report.
Run the Accounting Report
1. Navigate to the Reports page from the Toast home page.
2. Using the drop-down menu for View, select Accounting and the date range for the desired report. (This report cannot be run for specific hours or employees, so those options will not be shown.) If a user is part of a Restaurant Management Group (chain), an option to multi-select sites within the Group will be provided.
The Accounting report will run and calculate in the order the GL Codes are listed using the entity's programmed Credit or Debit property. By default this report will aggregate all figures for each code based on the timeframe request. If a there are codes that are unmapped, it will map to the Over/Short line at the bottom of the report.
However, the user can use the Break down by day selection to show each code and the corresponding figures by day.
This report is also able to be exported directly to Excel or other spreadsheet program using the icon in the top right corner.
Breakdown of what each entry is actually counting:
Entity: These are generic reports which cover most of the most important cash and payments entries for the restaurant.
Tax: All of the tax that was collected during this time period.
Cash: Expected Cash Deposit from your cash management report. [Cash Payments + Cash Collected + Cash In + (Cash Out) + (Pay Out) + (Tip Out)].
Cash Not Collected: Cash not collected as part of the Shift Review process. Suggested to be mapped to the same GL Code as "Cash" in case a mistake is made during closing.
Credit Card Payments (VMCD): Credit payment amounts and credit tips. User can choose to Map Credit Card Payments and Credit Card Fees together or separately.
Credit Card Fees (VMCD): Fees for the VMCD Batch
Amex Total: Amex Payments for the report range.
House Account Payments: Sales that are closed to House Accounts
LevelUp Payments: Sales closed to the LevelUp payment option.
Gift Card Redeem: Payments and tips closed by Toast Gift Cards.
Tips: Tips from customers
Tips Paid Out: Tips paid out to staff.
Cash Adjustments: From the Cash Management Report. Payouts + Cash Outs (does not include Tip Outs)
Deferred (House Accounts): Payments accepted against a balance on a House Account. This is not accounted for as net sales directly because the food itself may be delivered on a different day.
Deferred (Gift Card Sales): Gift Cards sold. When a restaurant sells a gift card, that money has to be held as a liability by the restaurant because it could be redeemed at a later time.
Deferred (Other): Sales of any other menu Item that has been designated as deferred revenue. (an option you can change at the Item level on your menu).
Refunds: All refunds issued.
Gratuities: All service charges that were marked as Gratuities in the Toast System.
Paid in Total: Amount in payments accepted during the report range for orders belonging to dates outside the report range.
Deposit Sales Collected: Amount in payments for orders in this report range which were collected outside of this report range.
Over/Short: Any leftover or unmapped data from the list above.
There will also be the ability to map Other Payment Types, Discounts, Pay Out Reasons and Non-Gratuity Service Charges if you have any of these setup.
You can also choose to break down sales by one of the following:
Sales Category, Dining Option, and Revenue Center. When you choose one of these options, you will see each of the options that you have created in that group. It will show all of your Items’ sales, broken down by each category.