Toast POS is integrated with the national mobile payment app LevelUp. We are able to accept their scannable QR Codes as a form of payment and to apply any discounts a LevelUp user has on their account to the order. If a user is an existing LevelUp merchant, enabling this payment method is a few steps away. Once enabled, LevelUP barcodes can be scanned using the user-facing camera.
Our integration does not include LevelUp physical or digital LevelUp gift cards as a form of payment. We cannot accept them and as a new customer coming to Toast from a previous system, we will not be able to import LevelUp gift card data, new cards will need to be purchased.
This article will cover:
- Enabling LevelUp
- Taking Payments on LevelUp
- LevelUp Hardware
From the Toast online dashboard, navigate to the setup for Payment Options.
Under the heading LevelUp select "Enable LevelUp". Additional fields will appear below once selected.
Next, To integrate a Toast account with an existing LevelUp Merchant account, click "Authenticate with LevelUp":
To complete integration, the user will submit their LevelUp Merchant login credentials.
Once submitted, the user's LevelUp Merchant info will be filled into the configuration page.
To complete setup of the LevelUp payment option, the user can elect to configure 3 settings:
Tax Exempt: Choose whether applicable taxes will be applied to this transaction or not.
Receipt Dialog: Choose whether user is provide prompt to either Cancel, Print Receipt or No Receipt when this payment method is used.
Thank You Dialog: Choose whether customer is prompted to signup for the Rewards Program, if enabled, or not.
On the Device:
Select "LevelUp" from the list of Other payment types:
Because the customer selects a pre-configured tip percentage from the LevelUp app, there is no need for Toast to Prompt for this from the customer. The tip information will be transmitted to Toast with the payment automatically!
Toast will consider this check to be closed as soon as the payment processes. It can be viewed in Close Checks.
Payments on LevelUp
Currently, LevelUp appears as its own payment type in Toast. Selecting it will open the front facing camera on your device so the customer can scan their LevelUp QR code from their phone.
New in version Toast 2.6, Toast can take full or partial payments using LevelUp.
- Toast will authorize a transaction if the customer's LevelUp account doesn't have a payment method attached. This allows the customer to use LevelUp as a loyalty card, allowing them to accrue points rather than make a payment. The customer may accrue rewards to apply as discounts. There is no change to the payment workflow if the customer is only redeeming points.
- LevelUp discounts can be applied to orders on which other payment methods have been applied (including LevelUp payments and gift cards). For example, if a customer places a $5 order and has a $2 LevelUp discount available, the check will show a LevelUp discount of $2 and a LevelUp payment of $3 on the check. Note: Discount credit may not be used to pay a gratuity portion of the check.
- Partial Authorization means that the customer doesn't need to pay for the whole check with Level Up, but can pay for part of the check with it, and finish the rest with another form of payment. For example, on a $10 check, they may want to use a merchant credit of $2, and finish the remaining $8 on credit.
- To turn partial authorization on, Navigate to payment Options under the Payments section. Scroll to the LevelUp section. Select Enable Partial Authentication under Partial Authentication.
- Partial authorization needs to be enabled to use two touch loyalty.
- Reversing/voiding/refunding a discount or gift card will reverse any associated payments and will remove the discount from the check. The discount will be deposited back into the customer's LevelUp account or onto the gift card.
LevelUp and Toast Hardware
Hardware recommendation: Elo terminal
Will not work on 10" Samsung Tab 4s.