Toast allows you to adjust the total amount for already completed credit card transactions in order to compensate for orders that need to be adjusted appropriately. This will allow you to increase the charge or decrease the charge on a credit card transaction.
This article will provide an example of how to adjust a credit card payment up to account for extra items that need to be charged. To adjust a credit card payment down due to voids, you can follow the same steps or click me to review an example of a partially refunded credit card payment.
- Start by selecting Payment Terminal from the main Toast POS dashboard.
- Locate the check from the Paid or Closed Checks view.
- You can also use the check number by going to Quick Order mode, selecting the Lookup function at the top right of the screen and entering in the check number or swiping the credit card to bring up the transaction.
- Select Update to begin making adjustments to the order items.
- The Total Amount and Balance Due will automatically re-calculate based on the items you add, modify or void.
- In the example below, we have voided the Salmon item and added two new items: Lamb and Steak. The new Balance Due and Total appear automatically.
- Select Pay to adjust the transaction amount.
- Highlight the credit card payment and press the new Balance Due amount. Select Update to charge the new amount to the attached credit card.
- The new finalized amount will appear on the credit card payment row. You can highlight the credit card payment and press Receipt if you need to generate a new receipt for the customer. Press Close to exit out of the check when you are finished.
Note: Do not adjust Payment Amounts down to $0 (Tip Amount can be adjusted to $0). A payment needing to be adjusted to $0.00 should just be voided in the POS.