The Take Out / Delivery section is part of Toast's expansive online ordering feature. Toast recommends reviewing the Take Out / Delivery section along with the Online Ordering section to get the most out of the online ordering system.
The Take Out / Delivery section can be found within the Other Setup section of the online dashboard.
Take Out / Delivery
- Delivery Enabled
- In Toast, you can enable or disable delivery as a functional feature and will allow customers to place online orders for delivery.
- Note: Toast's online ordering system considers take out as a standard default service. Currently, there is no way to disable online orders for take out.
- Takeout Customer Information (For Non-Online Takeout Orders)
- Enable this option to prompt for customer information when creating a take out order from Quick Orders mode. The customer information is used to create a customer account
- This option does NOT affect how online takeout orders behave. All online takeout orders require the customer to enter their first name, phone number, email address and payment details.
When online delivery is enabled, you can set a delivery fee that will automatically be applied based on the following settings:
- Delivery Fee: Setting a delivery fee will apply to all online delivery orders as well as delivery orders created at the restaurant. Setting the delivery fee to zero disables the fee entirely.
- Premium Fee: Set a premium fee that will automatically be added for deliveries greater than a designated distance from the restaurant.
- For example, if the restaurant charges $5.00 for orders farther than 3 miles.
- Toast will use the distance set relative to the Delivery Area you have established.
- Waive Fee Threshold: Delivery orders that meet or exceed the set waive fee threshold will not have any delivery fee or premium fee applied. Set this option to zero if you want to always automatically apply delivery fees and premium fees.
You can specify how you want take out and delivery order receipt prints to behave.
- Print On-Demand Only: This prevents take out and delivery orders from printing receipts automatically. Staff will have to manually view the order from the Toast POS to print a receipt.
- Designated Printer: All appropriately configured printers will be available for selection. This automatically forces take out and delivery orders receipts to print at the designated printer. Only one designed printer can be used at a time. Staff can always manually view the order from the Toast POS to print a duplicate receipt, if necessary.
Default Preparation Time
You can customize the default preparation time for online take out and delivery orders.
- Take Out Prep Time: Set a time it takes to prepare most orders.
- Delivery Prep Time: This time should account for the preparation and delivery of the order.
Online customers will receive an order confirmation page as well as an order confirmation email with the expected delivery or pick-up time:
You can view and override the prep time for individual orders on any Toast POS device.
- Locate the check through the Payment Terminal mode.
- Depending on your online order settings and the type of order created, you may also locate the order via Delivery or Pending Orders Mode.
- The prep time will be displayed as the last line item on the order.
- Tap the prep time line to highlight it and then tap Edit.
- Use the Edit Preparation Time prompt to override the default prep time.
Use the built-in map feature to establish the maximum delivery area.
- The restaurant location is identified by the green pin.
- If you find that the location is incorrect, please contact Toast Support to update and verify the address.
- Click anywhere on the map to create a red pin, which is used to designate the delivery area limit.
- You can click on the map to create as many red pins needed. Click and drag each pin to adjust the delivery area as needed.
- Territory within the delivery area will be highlighted in blue.
- Toast will compare the set delivery area to a customer's address when a on-site or online delivery order is created to automatically allow or deny the order from being placed.
- Click Reset Delivery Area if you need to clear any existing territory to create a new delivery area.