The Online Ordering section is only available to customers who have enabled Toast's Online Ordering feature. This section explains the key elements available that allow you to modify how online orders behave. Toast recommends reviewing the Online Orders section in tandem with the Take Out / Delivery section to properly configure all aspects of Toast's online ordering system.
The Online Ordering section can be found within the Other Setup section of the online dashboard.
APPROVAL MODE OPTIONS
The approval section is where you can set the behavior for incoming online orders and how they are received in Toast POS.
- Approve manually: This pushes all incoming orders into the Pending Orders Mode. All orders will need to be manually approved, before they order is submitted to the kitchen.
- Send orders directly to the kitchen: This pushes all incoming orders directly to the kitchen printer when it is ready to be prepared. This mode does not require you to manually approve or intervene with any online orders.
- Use Rules: This mode will use pre-set rules to determine if the order should be sent directly to the kitchen, require approval through the Pending Orders Mode or be automatically rejected.
You will be able to configure the Approval Rules by selecting the 'Use Rules' approval option.
You can choose to enable the following rules:
- Cash Threshold: Online cash orders over the specified trigger amount can be set to require manual approval or set to be automatically rejected.
- Useful for locations that don't allow their drivers to carry more than a specific amount of cash during their shift.
- Credit Minimum: Online credit card orders under the specified trigger amount can be set to require manual approval or set to be automatically rejected.
- This option may be useful for locations that do not accept small online orders paid with credit cards.
- Delivery Minimum: Use to automatically prevent any online orders from being placed unless they reach a minimum total.
- Applies to all cash and credit card orders, can be used alone or with the other two options.
ORDER SCHEDULING & ORDER THROTTLING
Choose whether or not you
This section allows you to configure the dining option behavior and reporting for online orders. This is useful if you have created custom dining options to account for different types of takeout or delivery methods.
In the example below, we want to make sure the online Take Out function is assigned to the Take Out dining option. We have already created a custom dining option for Take Out Call In to separate take out orders from online and by phone. This will appear under the sales summary for Dining Options to provide a better understanding of net sales and number of orders as separate forms of take out.
Click here to be taken to an article about setting up your custom dining options!
Choose which payment methods you want to accept for online orders from the following options:
- Accept credit card payments only.
- Accept cash payments only.
- Accept credit card and cash payments.
Note: you cannot disable both credit card and cash payments. At this time, only cash and credit card are accepted for online orders.
SERVER SELECTION OPTIONS
Online orders can either be assigned to a specific employee or they can be assigned by the order auto-firing tablet. If Assigned by auto-firing tablet is selected, the check will always be assigned to the next employee to enter their passcode and sign in to the order auto-firing device. Note: The orders will be assigned to the last employee to enter their passcode on the auto-firing device, even if that employee is now clocked out.
If the Assigned by auto-firing tablet setting in configured, recall that one and only one terminal should be configured to auto-fire orders. Choose the one terminal or handheld device that will auto-fire, and navigate to Device Setup and make sure that Order Auto-Fire is set to Yes. Make sure that this setting is set to No on all other devices or you will notice orders won't make it to the kitchen.
TOAST TIP: Create an employee to be used specifically for Online Orders and select them as the Online Order Server. This will automatically assign them all online orders, regardless of who logs into the auto-firing device.