The device setup tool is available on each device running Toast. The settings are device specific and can only be edited from the device itself. Here's an overview of each setting found in Device Setup.
Device Name - New in 2.14!
- This is required when setting up new devices
- Name of device will appear on the Closed Drawer Report
- Select the default screen to appear upon logging in:
- Table Service
- Quick Order
- Ticket Display Screen (Kitchen Display Screen)
- Payment Terminal (Open, Paid & Closed Checks)
- Order Approval (Pending & Approved Orders)
- Customize the time in minutes/seconds Toast will wait before returning to the passcode login screen.
- Shorter times are typically more secure. You can still select switch user and manually log yourself out before the timeout.
- Choose the printer you'd like the device to print to.
- You will need to have configured printers in Printer Setup before being able to select one here.
- When digital receipt is active, the customer will be able to enter a tip, sign with their finger and input information to receive a text or email receipt.
- This setting must be ON in order for the digital tip dialog to appear for payments.
Cash Receipt Options
- Choose to prompt, print, or not print a receipt for cash payments. This gives the ability to speed up cash payments.
Open Cash Drawer
- Select Yes if the device is attached to a cash drawer and needs to open for each cash payment.
- This will assign all cash payments to the drawer selected. You will want to disable this option if servers keep their cash until the end of their shift.
Non-Printing Prep Stations
- Select the prep stations that DO NOT need to be printed when orders are generated from this device.
Re-enabled Hidden Menus
- This option will appear when you have a menu that has been hidden from everyone. The prompt will allow you to re-enable any hidden menus you need access to from this device.
- Need to know how to hide menus?
- This option enables this device to manage scheduled or auto-approved online orders by auto-firing tickets to the kitchen when necessary.
- Only one device set should be set to auto-fire. Having multiple will interfere with the order getting to the kitchen.
- Need to know how to schedule future orders?
- This option allows you to assign this device to a specific revenue center. A revenue center will help you understand what portion of sales come from what service area of the restaurant. This is helpful if you have a device dedicated to one area of the restaurant.
- Need to know how to create revenue centers?
Primary Service Area
- Select this option if you want to assign this device to a default service area.
- Need to know how to create service areas?
Device Default Dining Option
- Configure the tablet to automatically assign the selected dining option for all orders taken on that tablet.
Device Groups to Send/Receive
- Select which device groups you would like to share this devices orders with, and which device groups orders you would like to see on this tablet.
- Follow this link to learn more about using device groups
Default Item Selection Mode
- Allows the ability to edit multiple items in an order simultaneously instead of one at a time.
- Enable if you use a scanner and barcodes to enter items.
Menu Grid Dimensions
- Customize the size of your menu to allow for more/less buttons on the page. Keep in mind that the button size will change as you add/remove rows and columns.
Ticket Display Screen:
New Ticket Sound
- Allow a notification sound when a new ticket appears on the screen
- This feature is for multiple kitchen display screens. Select the page you want to view from this device.
Kitchen Expediter OR Prep Station
- Selecting 'Yes' for Kitchen Expediter will show a consolidated view of all prep station tickets. This will grey-out the Prep Station option.
- Selecting 'No' will prompt you to choose which prep station(s) tickets to view on the screen.
- For example, Configuring a device as an appetizer prep station screen will display only items assigned to the 'Appetizers' prep station.
Two Level Fulfillment
- Allow for 2 expediter screens. Fulfilling an order on the first expediter screen only visually changes tickets shown on the second expediter screen. The second expediter screen is responsible for final order fulfillment.
Card Reader Model
- Select which card reader model is being used with your tablet.
- For Elo and Samsung terminals using the built-in card reader, you do not have to make a selection here.
- Select the card reader model that has been paired via bluetooth to be able to successfully swipe cards.
- This option will only be accessible if a device has been successfully paired via bluetooth. Make sure bluetooth is ON and the paired device is the card reader you'd like to use.
- Link for more information/troubleshooting tips for card readers