Toast currently utilizes two different credit card reader devices. If you encounter swipe failures, perform the following steps to ensure the card reader is fully functional:
Checking the Reader Model is Powered On
- IDTech Shuttle
- A green credit card icon will appear as a status notification on the tablet screen. The credit card icon should turn green when you are at the order or payment screen.
- MagTek UDynamo
- The MagTek device has a built-in LED that will be green when it is properly plugged in and powered on.
Match the Device with the Correct Reader Model
- A card reader that is powered on but non-responsive may indicate that the tablet is not paired with the correct reader model.
- Start by going to Device Setup from the main Toast POS dashboard.
- Locate and select the Card Reader Model option near the bottom of the list.
- The prompt will allow you to select the correct card reader model.
Checking the Card Reader Connection
- You may need to check for any physical damage and any cords that connect the card reader to the tablet and to a power supply.
- IDTech Shuttle
- Ensure that the card reader's connection stem tightly fits into the audio jack socket of the tablet. If you have multiple tablets, try testing the card reader on another tablet. If you have multiple card readers, try testing another card reader to identify if it is an isolated issue.
- Magtek UDynamo
- This card reader model will be connected to the tablet by a usb-to-micro-usb and a splitter.
- Power off the tablet, disconnect the card reader and cords so each item is completely separate and unattached.
- Reconnect the card reader in the following sequence:
- Attach the charging cable to the tablet.
- Attach the other end of the charging cable to the cord splitter.
- Attach the card reader cord to the splitter.
- Attached the cord to the card reader.
- Power on the tablet.
- Select Yes if a prompt appears asking permission to connect to the device.
- Follow the troubleshooting steps above to ensure that the device is matched to the correct reader model.