You can create any number of service charges and configure them to be added to checks.
These charges are treated in two ways:
1. as gratuity to be paid to the server (or the driver on delivery orders), or
2. as non-gratuity assumed to be paid to the house and thus appearing in the restaurant's Net Sales amount.
Percentage based gratuity is calculated as a percentage of the pre-discount, pre/post-tax (configurable here) order amount.
These charges can be taxed and applicable taxes can be set in the details of each service charge.
Service Charge Setup
- Select Other Setup from the Main Toast POS dashboard.
- Select the Service Charge page.
If you want to reorder any of the charges, click on Order and then enter a number into the new ordering column.
On the next page the user will configure the Service Charge being created. The Target and Owner fields are used for Enterprise Management only and will be explained below.
Click Add and specify the following:
- Name: Name of the service charge
- Charge Type: Fixed Percent, Fixed Amount (dollar), Open Amount (user enters dollar amount each time this service charge is applied)
- Charge Percent/Amount: Depending on what is selected Percentage or dollar amount.
- Apply After Amount Threshold: After any order reaches this dollar amount, this service charge will automatically be added to the check.
- Assign to Check Owner (Gratuity)?: If YES, this Service Charge will be charged as a Gratuity and be paid out to the Server. If NO, this Service Charge will NOT be charged as a Gratuity to the Server, this will instead be included in the Net Sales for the day.
- Taxed?: If YES, the Service Charge will be included in the taxable amount of the check. If NO, the Service Charge will be be included int the taxable amount of the check.
- Delivery?: If YES then this service charge will automatically be assigned to the check when the Dining Option is set to delivery.
If Delivery? is set to YES advanced options will appear.
- Waive Fee Threshold: This fee will automatically get applied to a check after the dining option is set to delivery. After this dollar amount, the fee will automatically be removed (but can be manually reapplied).
- Delivery Distance Threshold: This fee will only be applied if the distance is greater than or equal to the entered mileage AND the dining option is set to delivery. This distance is calculated in terms of driving distance, from your restaurant to the delivery address, not on driving distance.
You can now set up multiple delivery fees and also choose whether or not they are considered service charges or gratuities. You can also set up multiple mileage-based service charges and the delivery zones around your restaurant.
In Enterprise Management, the target and owner can be set here at the service charge level. The target is which restaurants in a group this service charge can be applied to. The Owner is which group level permission you will need to have in order to edit that service charge.
Service Charges appear on Sales Summary:
Service Charges as they appear POS:
For the case where a service charge is actually a gratuity to be paid in tips back to the server at the end of the evening (Assign to Check Owner (Gratuity)?: YES), the service charge will appear in the POS in the balance due section, as per below:
For the case where a service charge is a charge to be paid to the restaurant (Assign to Check Owner (Gratuity)?: NO), the service charge will appear in the POS as a separate line item charge, as per below: