Toast POS contains five built-in additional modifier groups that are commonly used in quick service and table service restaurants.
Enabling Additional Group Modifiers
These settings can be enabled or disabled through Toast's UI Option page.
- Start by tapping on Other Setup located in the main Toast POS dashboard.
- From the Restaurant Admin page, locate and tap on UI Options.
- Under Order Screen, you can enable or disable the following modifier groups:
- Seat Number - When enabled, staff can assign items to a seat number.
- Dining Option - When enabled, staff can assign items to Dine In or Take Out. This option is useful when you need to assign an item to Take Out while preserving the rest of the order as a Dine-In check.
- Course - When enabled, staff can assign items to specific courses. This will display any courses you have created from the Kitchen Setup page.
- Split - When enabled, staff can assign items to be split by multiple guests.
- Special Request - When enabled, staff can enter in a special request modifier for items and indicate a price.
Using Additional Group Modifiers
Once you have enabled Toast's additional group modifiers, you will be able to access them from the order screen of any open check.
- Create or locate an order from the Table Service or Quick Order modes.
- Tap to highlight an item to prompt the additional group modifiers to appear on the lower half of the screen.
- Perform the necessary modifier selections and tap Done.
- The newly created adjustment, such as an assigned seat number, special request, or assigned course will appear under the item as a modifier.
In the example below, we have assigned various additional group modifier functions to each item. By tapping on any item, we can view the available group modifier functions and then tap on the function we want to apply to the item.
See the video below for an overview on enabling additional group modifiers and using each group modifier function: