The access permissions allow managers to control what employees can and can't do in the POS and on backend. Allow access to additional features and activities in Toast for any employee at your restaurant by toggling the arrow on or off to add or remove the permission.
Permissions are divided into four main groups; POS Access, Manager, Restaurant Admin, and Account Admin. Select the arrow next to the group name to enable all permissions for that group, then select the arrow next to any permission to remove it.
There are two primary ways of controlling user permissions in Toast:
Adding permissions at the job level will automatically transfer the allowed permissions to any employee assigned the job code. Save time by assigning the appropriate job code with pre-set permissions to new employees and avoid individually going through each permission with every new employee.
Here's an example of a cashier job with all POS Access permissions enabled:
How are permissions determined for employees assigned more than one job? Employees with multiple jobs with different permissions will inherit the combined permissions for all of their jobs. If an employee acts as a Manager for some shifts and a Cashier for others, the employee will always have access to the additional permissions provided by the Manager job code.
NOTE: At this time, Toast does not support user permissions to change based on the job code used to clock in.
User Permissions / Overrides
Permissions can also be configured at the individual employee level, which can be used in conjunction with job-level permissions to override and permit access to a permission that has been intentionally excluded from the job code.
For example, The permissions for a Cashier and inherited permissions from the cashier job code. Notice the Inherit button is selected and the arrows are green by default. This indicates that the permissions are inherited from the Cashier job.
If we wanted to allow this user, but not all cashiers, to add discounts to an order, we would select Override on the Discounts line and select the arrow. NOTE: This will automatically select the Override button and arrow for the Manager section to show that at least one permission is allowed from that section.
It's possible to do this in reverse as well, remove a permission inherited from a job code by selecting Override and de-selecting the arrow on the line of the permission you're removing from the employee.
Remember to save your changes!
Advanced Configuration for Locations in a Restaurant Group
- Employees in multi-restaurant groups may be assigned permissions at the group level, in addition to having the job-level and employee-level options.
- This is mostly used to control reporting access without many manual changes. For example, allow the Regional Manager to have full reporting access permissions allowed at the group level to avoid the tedious task of individually granting access for each restaurant location in the Toast restaurant group.
- Users who have the User Permissions access permission enabled at the group level can manage these group level permissions for other users. (Please contact Toast Support if you are just starting to use Toast at your restaurant group and you need to assign someone this role.)
- Employees inherit any default permissions that were set at the restaurant group level.
- if a user is granted the Sales Report permission at the group level, they will have the permission at all locations in the group
- It is possible to override this behavior on a per-restaurant basis. Override to allow access to view additional reports, such as Labor and Menu Reports, at a particular location in the group.
- If there is a particular restaurant this employee should not have access to view or run sales reports, you can also override at the restaurant level to prohibit access.
Let's walk through an example.
Joe is a General Manager Toast Tab & Grill, a location in the Toast Fine Dining Restaurant Group. Joe wants to analyze the past quarter's sales across all locations in the Restaurant Group, so he needs the permission granted at the group level.
Since we are an employee with the User Permissions access permission at the Toast Fine Dining Group level, we will be able to edit this for Joe.
Pulling up Joe's "Edit User" page will have an additional button labeled Add Group / Restaurant Permissions as is shown here:
Clicking this button will bring up the following dialog.
We want to add the permission for the whole group , so we select the Toast Fine Dining Group row and click Add. The dialog will close and the permissions editor section will reload and display the restaurant group.
Each of these two sections are collapsed permissions tables that you can expand by clicking. To grant Sales Report access at the group level, we click on Toast Fine Dining Group and change the permission.
Note that this group level access can be completely revoked by clicking the trashcan icon on the collapsed group permissions table.
After saving, Joe now has access to view the sales reports across all locations in the group.
For situations with complex group setups having more than one level of groups, permissions can be adjusted at any level of the group structure. For help with this, please contact Toast Support.
Important Note: Currently, group level permissions only allow web access. If a user needs to log in to the Android POS application, they will need to be explicitly added as an employee at the location they are trying to access. Once they are added, they will receive the permissions inherited from the group, but the manual step of adding them as an employee still needs to be taken.