The Close Out Day function page is an optional feature that provides you with a audit report on the current status of all checks and employee activity. It is not required that this be manually carried out each night to turn the day over in the system.
The Toast Platform is designed to carry out these functions automatically for each restaurant on a nightly basis, so manual intervention is not required. It can be used as a review tool. By default at 4am each day, Toast will:
- Close out any unclosed checks that were in Paid Status at close.
- Clock-Out any employees who are still clocked in at 4am (this can be disabled by request)
- Auto-Capture all uncaptured credit card payments from the previous business day. In most cases, this will be all payments from the day
- Toast will NOT close Unpaid Orders - those will remain open until they are resolved with either a being paid or being voided.
Configuring Z Report
You can configure the information you're provided on the Z Report from the UI Options page. Below is a list of the things you can either enable or disable on the report:
To view Close Out Day:
- Start by selecting Close Out Day located under Manager Activities from the Main Toast POS dashboard.
- In the example below, we have a single unpaid order that need to be resolved before we can close out the day. Unpaid checks require manual intervention and will also prevent the waitstaff responsible for the unpaid checks from ending their shift.
- You can select View for any unpaid checks, unclosed checks or clocked-in employees to access more detailed information and resolve the issue.
Auto Resolving Issues
You can auto-resolve certain issues if you need to close out quickly or want to resolve a large quantity of issues with the same solution.
You can select the Auto-resolve issues button for the following situations:
- Close all fully paid orders and checks. Note, if the checks do not have a tip, the system will close the checks without any tip applied. You may want to click View to access the unclosed checks to manually add tip and close each check.
- Clock-out all currently clocked-in employees. This will clock-out everyone immediately and end their shifts.
Auto-resolve cannot be used for unpaid checks.
Most Toast customers are scheduled to Auto-Capture Payments overnight after the restaurant is closed, so manually capturing is not necessary. This is a default behavior for all accounts, unless it has been turned off by request at some point in time. If you're unsure, you can contact Toast to confirm your setting.
Toast recommends you capture payments at least once daily to ensure authorized credit card payments are allowed to fully process. We strongly recommend that you allow our system to do it automatically to eliminate human-error that can cause delays in funding your account.
- Toast will auto-capture any leftover unclosed checks overnight at 4:30 AM. This may be useful if you forget to capture any leftover checks for the day or simply want Toast to handle the process automatically.
- Unclosed but paid checks will be set to closed and then auto-captured. Because Toast will resolve unclosed checks without applying any tip, you may want to manually update or modify tips for payments as needed.
The Z Report of Toast is a Sales Summary that can be printed by an in-store receipt printer. It can be printed at any moment of the day during business without affecting the business day. Printing this report does not turn the day over into the next day. The data updates in real-time as sales occur. The printout will print from whichever receipt printer the device you're using is configured with.
The Z report will now include the previous 7 days by default. This feature doesn’t need to be turned on under settings. In order to access the screen, you’ll need to go to the Overflow Menu in the upper right.
In the Overflow Menu the, “Change Date” option will allow selection of one on of the previous 7 days.
Select the appropriate day from the pop-up menu and it will display the date selected
The top of the screen and the report will update reflecting the correct date in order to verify the correct Z report and make sure it’s not the “Current” Z Report.
Image of a printed Z-Report (End of Day Report):
New in 2.15! The Z Report Summary now shows the date, time, and employee that printed the summary.
Close Out Day Not Loading
If the Close Out Day does not load or stays loading indefinitely, perform one or all of the following:
- Return to the main Toast POS Dashboard and try accessing the Close Out Day again.
- Select the re-load icon on the top right of the page.
- Log out and log back in to Toast and access the Close Out Day page.
- Try accessing the Close Out Day page from another device.
- Ensure that the device has an active internet connection.